Monday, December 24, 2007

This Time of Year

I've been reading my blog posts lately, and as with anything that gets published, I'd probably do some things a lot differently. I tend to write in a conversational way, with very little editing done while I'm going as I don't want to interrupt the creative process. Sometimes, the results can be truly inspiring, while other times, you could use the story of a million monkeys with a million typewriters.

I tend to be a positive person by nature, although the world sometimes frustrates me. I understand that bad things happen, that's part of the whole equation but what bothers me is that people tend to contribute to this sometimes without realizing it. In the time of year that we should all be kind towards our fellow men and women, I've found that most people are too busy paying attention to the sales, specials and bling of the holiday than truly being cheerful. I've been yelled at while texting girl at a local Freddy's on Saturday cause I was in the way, I've had cars come at me from seeming every direction on the road, and nearly run over numerous times in stores just trying to maneuver around people as they try to figure out what they are doing. In being stressed about it, I've allowed them to take some of my holiday spirit and I'm going to take it back now.

I am spending tonight with girl's dad and his new family as he just got married earlier this year. On Christmas, I'm going to talk with my sister who just recently had her first child, my incredibly cute niece who I plan on spoiling as much as I can. I will also spend time with girl and her mom opening gifts, and then later visiting her grandparents before we head down to watch the Trail Blazers on Christmas Day play the SuperSonics. I've never actually done anything like this on a holiday, and I'm actually looking forward to it. I've also taken the week off from work, so my week will be filled with rest and relaxation because I'm remembering what this time of year is supposed to be about.

It's not about presents, it's not about toys, it's not about shiny things or stuff that makes noise, it's about the feeling you get when you share from yourself, and spend time with your family and friends and show them how much they matter to you. Sometimes, simple words and actions can be enough, but it's important to remember who you are, where you came from, and the many people that helped you get to that point. And for those folks that bugged me, I hope you have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and remember what the holidays are about.

No comments: